BCLC contributes $1.25 billion to British Columbia16/07/2015
BCLC posted a record net income of $1.25 billion to government in 2014/15, which helps support communities, health care and education.
This is the ninth straight year BCLC has been able to deliver more than $1 billion to the province of B.C.
The growth in net income is primarily due to higher than budgeted revenue in the high-limit tables category, and lower than budgeted costs due to ongoing cost management, lower staff costs resulting from a higher vacancy rate than budgeted, and a one-time amortization adjustment.
In 2014/15, BCLC demonstrated its focus on innovation in distribution and in product development, modernizing the business by replacing legacy technology and systems, encouraging responsible gambling, and creating entertaining experiences for players.
Highlights of the 2014/15 year include:
- Costco locations across B.C. began selling scratch and win tickets for the first time anywhere in North America.
- B.C’s first live venue sports betting pilot was launched at Starlight Casino, with the opening of the PlayNow.com Sportsbook.
- Extended Encore Rewards to table game players was also launched, allowing members to earn Encore Dollars redeemable for food and beverage at casino restaurants.
- The gaming management system (GMS) was fully completed and has been installed in all 36 gaming facilities across the province.
- New Horizons Conference in Vancouver - BCLC hosted its third annual highly successful Responsible Gambling conference where industry representatives and international experts discussed ideas on responsible gambling.
- Investment in gambling research - BCLC invested $2 million over five years to the Centre for Gambling Research at UBC.
- BCLC’s facility distribution strategy is nearing completion with 90 percent of B.C. adults living within a 30-minute drive from a casino or community gaming facility.
While gambling continues to be a popular form of entertainment in B.C., people have many choices for how to spend their entertainment dollars. BCLC aims to stay relevant and create entertaining experiences for players, in a safe and responsible manner.
Download a full copy of the Annual Service Plan Report here.