By the numbers: Popularity of NFL betting in B.C.07/09/2016
BCLC number crunching shows football is by far the most popular sport in B.C. when it comes to betting online and retail. The National Football League accounts for the bulk of football betting in B.C. on PlayNow.com and Sports Action. British Columbians placed more than 1.1 million wagers on NFL games in the 2015-16 season, and the Super Bowl was once again the most popular sports betting event in B.C this year.
With the NFL season starting this week, here’s a snapshot of NFL betting in B.C. by the numbers:
- Approximately $14.6 million dollars were wagered on the NFL on PlayNow.com and Sports Action during the 2015-16 season.
- For the 2015-16 season, British Columbians placed approximately 1.1 million wagers total on the NFL through PlayNow.com and Sports Action.
- Per game, more money and wagers are placed on the NFL than any other sports league on PlayNow.com.
- The Super Bowl is the single biggest sports betting event in both B.C. and Canada. More than $430,000 was wagered in B.C. on Super Bowl 50.
- The average NFL bet amount in B.C. on PlayNow.com is approximately $20.
- The Seattle Seahawks, Green Bay Packers and New England Patriots have the best preseason odds at 8 to 1 of winning Super Bowl LI (51).
- The Seattle Seahawks had the most wagers in B.C. to outright win the Super Bowl in the 2015-16 season. The team once again has the most wagers heading into 2016-17.
- Since 2013, the team with the best odds on PlayNow.com to win the Super Bowl has never gone on to win it.
- The team with the worst preseason odds of winning the Super Bowl on PlayNow.com to go on to win were the Baltimore Ravens in 2013 with odds of 12 to 1.
- The Seattle Seahawks have 199 to 1 odds of going 16-0. The team has 499 to 1 odds of going 16-0 and winning the Super Bowl.
- There are numerous ways to bet on the NFL on PlayNow.com, including: Live Betting, Outright Super Bowl winner and Player props.
- New this season, NFL Pools are now available and feature a Week 1 Pool with a minimum $10,000 jackpot.
Through Sports Action and PlayNow.com, BCLC offers socially responsible gambling entertainment while generating income to benefit all British Columbians. Remember, play for fun, not to make money. For more information visit GameSense.ca.