Top Winning Lottery Moments of 201629/12/2016
Every year lottery players in B.C. win hundreds of millions of dollars and 2016 proved to be no exception with $670,421,309 in prizes won and claimed in B.C. between Jan 1, 2016 and Dec 1, 2016. Watch our top winning lottery moments here.
- Douglas Lowes of Cranbrook. Douglas won $4.9 million on the December 17, 2016 Lotto 6/49 draw. “I was feeling good when I bought the ticket because I had just finished doing some volunteer work and I was dressed up with a Christmas tie and everything.” See full story here.
- Bill Laharty of Nanaimo. Bill won $21 million on the August 13, 2016 Lotto 6/49 draw. He purchased his ticket on PlayNow.com, setting a new lottery record for the largest-ever online lottery prize won in Canada. “Ever since I discovered I won, it’s like I’ve been living in a dream. I saw this big number and had to count the zeros.” See full story here.
- Linda Spruston of Burnaby. Linda won the $1 million Maxmillions prize on the August 12, 2016 Lotto Max draw. “It’s a wonderful feeling. There are times on the SkyTrain when I just want to grab somebody and tell them I’m a lottery winner!” Her husband joked that he was looking forward to buying a new pair of shoes! See full story here.
- Ian Hirsch of Coquitlam. Ian won $12.8 million on the June 18, 2016 Lotto 6/49 draw. “We facetimed the kids because we wanted to see their reactions and that was priceless.” See full story here.
- June Bergh of Kelowna. June won a whopping $50 million on the April 8, 2016 Lotto Max draw. “When I first checked my ticket, initially I thought I won $50,000 and I became dazed when I realized I was holding a $50 million ticket.” See full story here.
- Robert Goertzen of Kelowna. Robert won $21.9 million on the February 20, 2016 Lotto 6/49 draw. “I felt famous! Everyone in the store was coming up to congratulate me and to take a photo of me and the lottery screen!”
BCLC offers socially responsible gambling entertainment while generating income to benefit British Columbians. Remember, play for fun, not to make money. For more information visit GameSense.ca.
Lotto 6/49 and Lotto Max are nationwide lottery games drawn weekly. Players can purchase tickets at their favourite lottery retailer or at PlayNow.com.