At BCLC we want our players to feel secure in the knowledge that every lottery ticket they buy represents a fair chance to win. Security and integrity of the lottery is paramount to us and prizes must be paid out to the rightful ticket holder. We use technology, mystery shops, and have strict policies and processes to help maintain the integrity of the lottery system.
All lottery retailer prize claims over $2,000 and all other claims of $25,000 or more are reviewed by Corporate Security staff, who also interview the claimants. If there is any reason to believe the ticket does not belong to the claimant, we send a notification to our regulator, the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch (GPEB). We also notify GPEB of all retailer claims of $1,000 and greater.
In addition to investigating prize claims, our Corporate Security team conducts reviews and investigations. As required, it will enforce service standards and take action in cases where retailers and/or their employees undermine the integrity or security of BCLC's lottery systems, the reputation of BCLC or our authority to operate lotteries in B.C.
If players have any concerns or questions about a retailer, they can contact BCLC Customer Support toll free at 1-866-815-0222. All player concerns are investigated.
Protect your play
Players can take a few simple steps to protect their play:
- Sign your ticket - a lottery retailer can only validate your ticket if it has been signed.
- If you play in a group, fill out our group release form so that each draw date and its participants are clearly stipulated in advance of every draw.
- Check your ticket using the Check-A-Ticket terminals available at our retail locations. That way, you'll know whether you're a winner and how much you have won before the retailer validates the ticket.
- You can also request a printout of the winning numbers from the retailer or visit the winning numbers page on our Lotto website.
Here's what you can expect when the retailer checks your ticket and it's a winner:
- You'll hear the winning jingle, which plays at a loud, fixed volume;
- You'll see the prize amount, the word "Winner", and a universal win symbol ($) on the Customer Display Monitor;
- Your winning ticket will be returned to you along with the validation slip.
Winning tickets valued at $10,000 or more get their own unique jingle too and the lottery terminal will then temporarily freeze, prompting the lottery retailer to phone BCLC immediately. You'll be asked to speak to us and confirm your win.
There are steps to take to claim your prize. It could happen to you. Find out more.